I hope your summer has provided moments of rest and of enjoyment with family and friends. We have been blessed to celebrate in worship together, and we have traveled in the name of Christ to serve on an adult mission trip to West Virginia. Our youth mission trip, called Diaconos, served a food bank, community garden, therapeutic riding program and provided a meal for 70 at the Ronald Mc Donald House near Hershey Med Center. Our Vacation Bible School and Movie Night were fun and meaningful as we learned about the water adventures of Nemo and Moses. Michael and I are grateful to Pastor Hinkle for his serving in worship while we took a wonderful trip to the Southwest- with tips from so many of you!
No matter how old I am, September is always the beginning of the "School Year." Recently I came across a quote- "Nothing counts more in the way we live than what we believe about God." This sums up how vital continuing to grow in faith is for us all.
- Our Rally Day for kids age 4-12th grade this year is set for Sunday September 10th at 9:15. The registration table will be in the parlor, followed by an opening in the sanctuary, checking out the learning stations and a snack. Confirmation begins this day as well!
- We will also be taking part in a handprint craft that Bonnie Floryshak and Mary Lou Keck are coordinating as part of our 200th Anniversary year- we want all our kids to be a part!
- This great task of faith formation takes many hands. Recently two folks said "yes!" to God's call to use their gift as coordinators of Sunday School for our children and families. Council approved Dawn Smith and Annie Moran will share in this part-time role for the coming year. Please check out their greetings in this newsletter. What a blessing to have to trained educators who are gifted in working with children of all ages, can oversee curriculum and administrative tasks that go with the quality of education we want to continue. With their gifts we have the year's learning planned! While you may see Dawn or Annie in a classroom, more often they will be the ones making sure our teachers and helpers have what they need. We are also blessed that there are new faces ready to help us learn, have fun and share God's love!
- Faith Formation for Adults will begin on September 17th- in the parlor. Our adult Discussion class meets over coffee and treats- there is a comfy chair waiting for you!
- During worship on the 9th and 10th we will be blessing kids and teachers (Sunday school and otherwise!) Please bring your backpack or bag to worship!
- As those blessed to be a blessing, we will celebrate GOD'S WORK, OUR HANDS day on Sunday September 17th. This year we will provide a meal for first responders in our area, available for eat in or take out. First responders from Valley, Sugarloaf, Butler Township and Hazle Twp, as well as police in the Borough and two townships will be invited to stop whether on duty or not. Please look for information and signup to help serve and greet- this is an all ages opportunity with the meal being served from Noon to 5 pm. Please help us share God's love with those who do so much for all of us!
This month, I celebrate six years in ordained ministry- I count it as a blessing and joy to walk with you in the journey of faith in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ!
Yours in Christ,